Thursday, March 18, 2010

One day I woke up, and I was a nerd

This post is inspired by "Louie," whose comment on this week's CNN recap of LOST nearly threw me into a maniacal outburst. He wrote the following:

"Uh, does anyone else see a problem with Sawyer magically becoming a cop in the "flash sideways"? In all of the other characters' alternate universe lives, their fates change only AFTER the Oceanic flight. Their histories prior to the flight were the same as they were in the "real" universe (i.e., their island selves). If Sawyer was a cop–and partnered with Miles (!)–prior to the Oceanic flight, this causes all sorts of continuity problems. Major flaw, if you ask me."

Seriously, Louie, you almost made me choke on my Craisins. Let me explain, in detail, where the real "major flaw" lies- it is in your interpretation.

Obviously, Louie has not religiously flopped himself in front of his tv screen with a bag of Fritos each week like I have. Otherwise, he would have never made this mistake. The lives of the characters in the flash sideways did not change AFTER the Oceanic flight- they were different all along. For example, Jack has a son, Hurley is lucky, Ben is a teacher, Sawyer is a cop, etc. Their flash sideways lives are completely different, and these differences are unrelated to the Oceanic flight. This time line is not a "what would have happened if they hadn't crashed" time line, but a parallel time line. Yes, that means that both time lines- island and non-crash- are happening at the same time. You shouldn't be so shocked; what is "normal" about anything happening on LOST? Google "many worlds theory." That will blow your mind; seriously, mine literally blew up.

So maybe on-island and off-island time lines will balance each other somehow. I mean, it seems that the characters in the off-island/flash sideways time line are a lot less crappy. They still have issues, but overall, they seem to be better people. Just like when Locke held up the backgammon pieces, explaining to Walt that there are two sides- dark and light. Maybe there has to be a perfect balance between on-island and off-island before the two time lines merge together. I don't know, just thinkin'.

Lastly, it is Jack. It has always been Jack.

But don't worry, Louie, I am not mad. In some parallel universe out there, I am the one who doesn't know what's happening on LOST, and you are the one explaining it to me.


Today's playlist:
Adele "Cold Shoulder"
Owl City "Hello Seattle" (I like the part about the albatross)